This is one of my favorite recipes, detox or not. It freezes very well, so put single servings into ziplock bags in the freezer so you can have an easy dinner in a hurry!
White Bean Chicken Chili
- 400 grams chopped or shredded cooked chicken*
- 1 liter homemade chicken stock
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 fresh jalapeño pepper, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 2 cans of white beans, drained
- 1 avocado, diced
- Full-fat plain yogurt
- 1 lime, quartered
- Small handful of cilantro (coriander), chopped
- Organic tortilla chips
- Heat the oil over medium-high heat in a 5-6 quart heavy pot.
- Add the onion, season with a bit of salt, and cook, stirring until tender, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the cumin, oregano, chili powder, and garlic and cook until fragrant, about one minute longer.
- Stir in the chicken and the jalapeño and then add the broth and 1 can of beans.
- Bring to a simmer.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the flavors blend and the beans are tender – about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, purée the rest of the beans in a food processor (or just mash them well with a fork or potato masher).
- Stir the puréed beans into the pot and continue to simmer, uncovered, until the mixture thickens.
- Ladle into bowls and serve.
- Garnish with avocado, yogurt, a squeeze of lime, and serve with some tortilla chips on the side.
*You have several options:
- buy a rotisserie chicken and shred the meat
- use the cooked chicken from my asian chicken stock recipe
- buy a pack of cut up boneless skinless chicken thighs, season with salt, pepper, and maybe a bit of garlic salt if you have some, and stir fry in some olive oil.
- Do NOT cook up diced boneless skinless chicken breast – it’s just soooo dry!