Whether you’re a vegetarian, a vegan, or just looking for a super quick and easy broth to make, you can throw this together in a snap.
Quick Vegetable Stock
Yields: 2 liters Prep time: 15 minutes Total time: 45 minutes
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 celery rib
- 2 bay leaves
- Several thyme sprigs or 1/4 teaspoon dried
- 4 or more garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 8 parsley branches, including the stems
- Scrub the vegetables and chop them roughly into 1-inch chunks.
- Heat the oil in a soup pot.
- Add the vegetables, garlic, and herbs and cook over high heat for 5-10 minutes, stirring frequently. The more color they get, the richer the flavor of the stock.
- Add 2 teaspoons salt and 2 liters/quarts cold filtered water, and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- Strain as soon as the stock is finished.
- Use immediately, or store covered in the refrigerator for up to 4 days, or freeze.