I’ve adapted this recipe from one by Jamie Oliver, which is much lighter than my absolute favorite version by the Two Fat Ladies. It’s delicious for breakfast, lunch or dinner, and it’s a great way to use up cold leftover rice, fish, and hard boiled eggs if you have them!
- 1 hard boiled egg
- 225 grams/1/2 lb smoked salmon
- 1/2 a bay leaf
- 125 grams/ 2/3 cup brown basmati rice
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 Tablespoon of butter
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 small clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 scant teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 a lemon
- 1 small handful coriander (cilantro), roughly chopped
- Cook the rice according to package instructions, drain it, rinse with cold water, then drain again. Keep it in the fridge until ready to use. If you’re using leftover cooked rice, you will need 1 1/3 cups (250 grams).
- Peel the egg and cut into wedges.
- Flake the salmon.
- Heat the oil and butter in a large frying pan over low heat. Add the onion and garlic and allow to soften, without coloring, for about 5 minutes. Add the curry powder, stir, and cook for a couple of minutes more. Add the juice of 1/4 lemon. Add the fish and rice to the pan and gently heat through, then add the eggs and coriander and stir gently. Put into a warm serving dish and serve with the rest of the lemon, cut into wedges.