Missing mashed potatoes? These are just as good (if not better) and work great as a side with chicken or roast veg, or alone as a warm dip with some pita triangles. To make this vegetarian, simply use water or vegetable stock instead of chicken stock.
Garlicky White Bean Mash
- 2 cans cannellini beans
- 2 cloves garlic
- sea salt to taste
- white pepper to taste
- 1 TBS minced fresh parsley
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 TBS olive oil
- Heat the oil low heat in a heavy bottomed pot large enough to hold the beans.
- Add the minced garlic and sprinkle with a bit of sea salt. Stir every so often and let it cook for a few minutes. You can let it turn lightly golden if you like, but make sure it doesn’t burn.
- Add the parsley and stir again.
- Drain and rinse the beans, add them to the pot and give them a good stir.
- Add the chicken stock, bring to a boil, turn the heat to low and cover. Allow the beans to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove the lid (it will look soupy), and mash the beans with a potato masher. Leave them cooking, uncovered, stirring occasionally to prevent burning, until the mixture has thickened. Add pepper to taste.
- Remove from heat and cover until ready to use. You can also prepare this in advance, keep covered in the refrigerator, and reheat it when you need it.