This soup is super fast and easy to prepare and I’m totally addicted to it!
Chinese Egg Drop Soup
- 1.5 cups homemade asian style chicken stock*
- 1 Tablespoon corn starch mixed with 2 Tablespoons water
- pinch of salt
- tiny pinch sugar
- pinch white pepper
- large pinch turmeric powder (kurkuma)
- few drops sesame oil
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- some chopped scallion or chives (good if you have them, but not essential)
- Bring the chicken stock to a simmer in a small saucepan. Stir in the salt, pepper, sugar, and turmeric. See if the color is yellow enough for you and add more turmeric if you like. Taste the soup and adjust the seasoning if needed.
- Now you will add the cornstarch slurry – make sure the cornstarch and water is well mixed as the cornstarch settles very quickly. Now whisk it into the soup and continue whisking. You will know it’s ready when your soup is no longer cloudy and it has thickened a bit (a couple of minutes or so).
- Now it’s time to add the egg! Stir your soup as you add the egg – the speed at which you stir will determine how thick (slow) or thin (fast) your egg swirls will be, so do whatever you prefer!
- Ladle your soup into a bowl, add a few drops of sesame oil, and sprinkle with chopped chives or scallion. Enjoy!
NOTE: This recipe can easily be multiplied to serve more people.