Use this thick green dressing with crisp romaine and iceberg lettuce, or as a dip for crudités. It will hold well, refrigerated, for several hours. Set plastic wrap directly on the surface to keep it from browning.
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 small avocado, peeled and seeded
- 1 garlic clove, coarsely chopped
- 1 jalapeño chile, seeded and diced, optional
- 3 green onions, including an inch of the greens, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro (koriander)
- 1/2 cup plus 2 Tablespoons olive, avocado, or sunflower oil
- Put the lemon juice, avocado, garlic, chile, scallions, and cilantro in a blender and puree.
- Gradually pour in the oil with the machine running.
- Season with salt to taste.